The Oasis Reporters
August 27, 2017
All eager eyes of admission seekers into Nigeria’s tertiary institutions are set on September 15, to close on January 31, 2018.
That is when The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, says the admission processes for 2017/2018 will take place.
The Head of JAMB Information and Media, Dr Fabian Benjamin, made this known to the News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, in Bwari, Abuja, on Friday.
Benjamin said that the direct entry applications for admission would close September 15.
He explained that students could only secure admission after they might have passed through the rudiments of admission processes.
According to him, “We have come up with Central Admission Processing System, CAPS, this year.
“This entails that once candidates are admitted and the institution approves, then JAMB will approve, the information about the candidates will be keyed into CAPS automatically.
“Candidates can monitor their admission process through CAPS online and those who want to get admission letter can do so by printing such online.’’
The JAMB spokesman maintained that CAPS will make record gathering easy and give easy access to students to print their admission letters among other things.
“What we are trying to do now is that we are looking at the perimeter realistically; we decided to come up with new strategy aimed at ensuring the actual data.
This development is not without it’s brouhaha that has accompanied it, but Benjamin told NAN that the 120 minimum cut-off mark would not in any way affect the nation’s educational standard negatively as being alleged by some people.
He said that the issue of the 120 cut-off mark was a policy of heads of tertiary institutions across the country, being the outcome of their policy meeting recently.
“The cut off mark was not the decision of JAMB, but the heads of tertiary institutions at the policy meeting.
“They decided that their institutions should be allowed to determine their own cut-off point based on their own peculiarities, but nobody for whatever reason should go below 120.
Benjamin explained that the sustenance of post UTME was a ministerial decision.
According to him, “we are not opposed to the directive, we see nothing wrong with it, and our interest is to ensure that the goal of admission is achieved.
“What we are all doing is to ensure that the power given to tertiary institutions is based on policies which established them.’’
The JAMB spokesman asserted that the important thing is for tertiary institutions to do what is right.
He noted that most tertiary institutions did not comply with the previous 180 cut-off mark that was given last year.
Meanwhile, controversies remain stirred and anxieties are heightened.
Victoria Ibezim-Ohaeri, a lawyer trained in Harvard who doubles also as a Rights campaigner has advocated that regions could have their peculiar cut off points. In other words, if it suits the North east region for example to make it’s own cut off point 120 while the South east pegs it’s own at say 300, a candidate can consider the best options available and go shop for it in whichever region he or she so desires.
Other commentators who spoke to our correspondent see the difficulties in perception this will endanger, and when the issue of quota comes in, the aim would be defeated eventually.