‘Creative Differences’ Over New Bond Film’s Russian Villain Makes Danny Boyle To Quit Set

 

The Oasis Reporters

August 24, 2018

Daniel Craig (left), Danny Boyle: Creative differences between actor and director lead to chaos on New James Bond 007 movie set.

Danny Boyle has called it quits from the set of a new James Bond 007 film in the making. As a movie director, he’s seen in the industry as uncompromising, doing things his own way.

Speculations are rife that he is having differences with Bond actor Daniel Craig. And this is mainly because of interpretations of what the Russian villain should portray as. And it was before filming was due to start m

The Telegraph reports that “Producers are understood to have been in the midst of making final decisions on casting when it was announced that the Oscar-winning director behind Slumdog Millionaire and Trainspotting had quit over “creative differences”.

Rumours that the film’s script was the source of the disagreement have been reported, with producers alleged to be unhappy with the decision to focus on contemporary political tensions with Russia and a “modern-day Cold War”.”

However one industry source told the Telegraph

The main issue for the rift was due to a disagreement whether to cast Tomasz Kot as the lead villain. The 41-year-old Polish actor stars in Cold War, a love story set in 1950s Europe, and was described as a “left-field” decision for a Bond enemy.

“Craig has a big say in all the casting decisions. None of the Bond girls have been chosen without his say so,” the source told the Telegraph.

“For example he chose Eva Green to be the Bond girl when it came to the final four for Casino Royale and that has been the case for all the Bond girls he has worked with.”

A direct clash between Craig and Boyle could have been the cause of the rift which has thrown the Bond franchise into chaos.

“It was telling the producers put his [Craig’s] name on their release saying that Boyle had been sacked,” the source said.

“I have heard that they wanted to bring that Cold War element in but update it to the modern day.

“Danny Boyle was in for that. That wasn’t the problem. The problem came in when they were making the final decisions about casting pre-production.”

A statement posted to the franchise’s official Twitter account on Tuesday evening declared:

The last minute fall out leaves EON Productions scrambling for a replacement and it is highly likely the scheduled release date of 25 October 2019 will be pushed back.

Boyle is known for his maverick style but the producers were so desperate to recruit him they agreed to put an already completed script by longtime Bond writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade on hold.

Boyle insistence on bringing an entirely new team, including his established writing partner John Hodge, infuriated Bond producer  Barbara Broccoli, another industry source told the Telegraph.

It is unclear whether producers will now stick to Boyle’s controversial script, written by Hodge, or revert to the version by Purvis and Wade, thought to be more typical for a Bond film.

The immediate future of the James Bond franchise already in chaos, after the sudden departure of the director Danny Boyle has made a delay to the scheduled release date of 25 October 2019 inevitable. Another speculation is that star Daniel Craig could be another victim, leaving the set.

A tweet from the franchise’s official account announced on Monday evening: “Michael G Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25.”

The creative differences revolve around the Bond script which was reportedly a deal-breaker for Boyle, who took on the project after the departure of Sam Mendes, who directed Skyfall in 2012 before returning (having previously quit) for 2015’s Spectre.

Source : Telegraph
Guardian

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Greg Abolo

Blogger at The Oasis Reporters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *