The Oasis Reporters
Saturday, October 28, 2017
Harsh reactions continue to trail the diversionary statement made by Garba Shehu, one of the two principal media advisors to president Muhammadu Buhari when he said that “Some influential officials loyal to the previous government may have been the invisible hand in the latest scandal that saw the return of Maina to the public service, despite being on the EFCC’s wanted list. Everything will be uncovered in due course.
This just goes to show us the scale of corruption that this government is fighting. And, as we can all see, corruption keeps fighting back viciously.”
– Mallam Garba Shehu, presidential spokesman.
This is against the backdrop of the fact that correspondence between the Attorney-General, the Minister of Interior and the Head of Service of the Federation showing that Maina was reinstated with active involvement of this government at the highest level.
Even Maina’s family confirmed it. .
Yet, Shehu Garba , blamed Jonathan, that influential officials still loyal to the former president were the unseen hands behind Maina’s return.
The opposition party, the PDP, has been unsparing in robustly responding to this and in a Press Release signed by Prince Dayo Adeyeye, it’s National Publicity Secretary, it read :
“On Maina, Garba Shehu Needs Psychiatric Evaluation
We are not surprised on the postulation by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Alhaji Garba Shehu in which he blamed the former Administration of Goodluck Jonathan as being responsible for the return of fugitive Abdulrasheed Maina. This is to say the least the height of absurdity.
2. The shenanigans surrounding the return of Maina who was under investigation and sacked by the previous administration of PDP is an issue Nigerians are privy to and even Maina’s immediate family have come out openly with their position that President Buhari was responsible for his return. May we therefore remind Garba Shehu in case he has forgotten that the current administration is that of the APC and not PDP, so we wonder how PDP will be responsible for the mess created by President Buhari and his cabals.
3. We had earlier in our response on this matter advised the government to properly investigate those responsible for this mess and bring them to justice and we still stand on that, because Nigerians are tired of excuses and blame game.
4. We reiterate that the body language of this APC government in the fight against corruption is mere propaganda and road-show. The idea of blaming every misdemeanor on previous administration is symptomatic of failure to deliver on promises and its time Garba Shehu and his likes resigns if they have nothing more to contribute in government.
5. Finally, we urge the APC led government to re-evaluate the inclusion of the likes of Garba Shehu in the administration. A man who is fixated on blaming each and every mistake of this government on the PDP has certainly run out of ideas, and must even have lost the capacity for rational thinking. We wonder the damage he may be causing to this country with his continuous stay as an Assistant to the President.
God bless the PDP! God bless Nigeria!!
Prince Dayo Adeyeye
National Publicity Secretary.
A social media commentator,
Samuel Ajayi asks: WHEN WILL THE BUCK FINALLY END AT BUHARI’S TABLE?
Then goes on to add a humorous twist to the saga by writing,
“Timipre Sylva was standing trial for fraud, but he allegedly paid the nomination fee for Buhari.
Defence from Supporters: There was no way the president could have known that the money Sylvia paid was part of the one he stole.
* EFCC returned 48 houses to Sylvia under a regime fighting corruption.
Defence: The president was not aware. Besides, it was the courts that decided. (Why didn’t EFCC appeal as it always does? We may have to find out).
* $5000 was being given to party members each to vote for Buhari at his party’s convention at Teslim Balogun Stadium when it was obvious Atiku might embarrass him.
Defence: The President was sitting at the state box. There was no way he could have known what they were doing on his behalf. Besides, no proof that he authorized the ‘payment’.
* Army Chief Buratai bought houses worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in Dubai.
Defence: The president trusts his appointees and he knows that apart from his military job, Buratai was into snake farming.
* He nominated Magu, the DSS wrote a scathing report against him to the Senate. An unprecedented embarrassment in the history of Nigeria’s presidency.
Defence: The President was not aware of the report. In fact, he did not intervene, even if he was aware, to allow those guys do heir jobs.
* Abba Kyari collected N500m bribe from MTN to reduce their fine.
Defence: No appointee of the President would do that. Besides, he was not even aware of the MTN issue.
* The panel on Babachir “Grasscutter” Lawal submitted its report months ago and mum is the word from Buhari since then.
Defence: The president is very meticulous. It is lengthy report so let’s give him time to read it thoroughly.
* Baru bypassed Kachkwu and awarded contracts of over $26b in NNPC and Buhari is the minister of petroleum and Baru said he took directive from Buhari.
Defence: The president could not have been the one who gave the directive. Besides, let us give him (Buhari) time to investigate.
* National Security Adviser and DG of DSS are reportedly not on speaking terms.
Defence: Buhari is not aware. Besides, it does not concern him as long as the job is done(?).
* Malami (AGF), Dambazau and Head of Service all worked to reinstate Maina. They should be sacked.
Defence: The President was not aware and besides, he does not have to sack anyone. He will set up a committee to investigate”.