Saudi Security Thwart Terror Attack On Mosque As Nigeria Nabs Islamist Terrorists

The Oasis Reporters

June 24, 2017

Worshippers at the Grand Mosque

As Ramadan draws to a close, Saudi Arabian officials foiled a terror attack on the Grand Mosque which was a Plot to obliterate the largest Mosque in the world in a report by Aletha Adu of Express.

The wanna-be suicide bomber who had aimed to launch an attack on the Grand Mosque in Mecca, was cornered in an apartment before he could attack Islam’s holiest site, Saudi Arabian officials confirmed.

Saudi’s interior ministry said three cells had planned the attack on worshippers and security forces at the mosque.

In a bid to fulfil his terror attack, the trapped would-be suicide bomber exchanged fire with the security forces.

But the suspect detonated explosives after security personnel surround a house within the central Mecca neighborhood of Ajyad al-Masafi, near the Grand Mosque.

The apartment building collapsed, injuring six foreigners and five members of the security forces.

It was not immediately clear who was behind the plot to attack the site, but the ISIS has in the past carried out attacks in the kingdom.

Saudi Arabia has in recent years seen a series of deadly attacks, many of which were claimed by so-called Islamic State.

In July 2016, four security officers were killed in a suicide attack near the Prophet’s Mosque in Medina.

Days into the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, the terror network called its followers to rise up in an “all-out war” on “infidels” in the West.

In a video published on YouTube, militants from the group reportedly said: “Muslim brothers in Europe who can’t reach the Islamic State lands, attack them in their homes, their markets, their roads and their forums.”

Their call for war followed the Manchester arena and London Bridge terror attacks where dozens were killed – including children – by ISIS-linked attackers.

In a related development, Nigeria’s Department Of State Security, DSS arrests terrorists planning attacks on Sallah Day

The DSS on Friday said it arrested suspected terrorists planning to destabilize the Sallah festivities.

A statement by the service spokesman, Tony Opuiyo, said the targets of the terrorists were markets, public parks, public processions, recreation centres and Eid grounds.

The “plot by terrorist elements to stage series of coordinated attacks using explosives on different cities across the country” by hitting on “soft targets such as markets, public parks, public processions, recreation centres, as well as worship centres especially the Eid Praying Grounds and other densely populated areas during the forthcoming Eid-el-Fitr Sallah celebration. The latest plan by the terrorists was to unleash mayhem on Kano, Sokoto, Kaduna and Maiduguri”.

Mr. Tony Opuiyo further stated that “the Service wishes to announce that the planned terrorist attacks in Kano and aforementioned States have been nipped in the bud” following the “arrest of Yusuf Adamu and Abdumuminu Haladu in the early hours of today, 23/06/2017, in Sokoto.
Adamu and his accomplice were to command the operation in Kano. However, the Service had earlier arrested the facilitator of the Kano attack, an explosive expert by name Bashir Mohammed at Unguwar Barnawa, Shekar Madaki, Kumbotso LGA, Kano State on 20th June, 2017. Their plan, together with others now at large, was to assemble the explosives and use them on select targets during the Eid-el-Fitr Celebrations”.

“On the arrest of Mohammed in Kumbotso, Kano, a search was conducted at his residence wherein dangerous weapons were recovered”

The Service has also uncovered plans by the terrorist elements to infiltrate the ranks of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (a.k.a. Shiites) .
“This is in an attempt to unleash violence and evoke a complete state of chaos in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja during the group’s Qudus Day Procession/Rally scheduled for today (23/06/2017) in Abuja and several States in the Northern parts of the country”.

Consequent upon this, “the Service is warning members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) to desist from staging any form of procession or demonstration as the terrorists will seize the opportunity to unleash mayhem”.

Meanwhile several commentators are viewing the warning to the Shiites as a clever way to avert a demand for the release of the Shiite leader, Mallam El Zakzakky who has remained in custody for several months despite court orders calling for his unconditional release after his tragic clash with security forces that saw to the death of hundreds of Shiites and the levelling of his mosque and buildings in Zaria, Kaduna state.

 

Greg Abolo

Blogger at The Oasis Reporters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *