The Oasis Reporters
July 30, 2017
The Boko Haram sect video of three out of the four missing staff of the University of Maiduguri, UNIMAID, calling on the government of Nigeria to negotiate their release has revealed that the war against the terror group is no way near an end for now, just as the Airforce said it carried out 81 sorties against the sect between April and July this year, indicative of a full return of the sect to Sambisa forest, with solar panels installed for their use.
In an attempt to rubbish the army statement made by Col. Sani Usman on Wednesday that many of the terrorists were killed, while “all the 10 staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) who were kidnapped had been released”, “the bodies of the military personnel and a civilian, who died in the incident had been recovered”
He also added that the victims were abducted after the terrorists ambushed them and killed five of their colleagues. “This happened on Tuesday as they were returning from an oil exploration trip to the Lake Chad Basin.
The casualty from that attack also include staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, soldiers and members of the civilian joint task force”.
The Al-Barnawi faction of the Boko Haram sect promptly released a 4 minute 30 second video, showing the three kidnapped staffers of UNIMAID seen sitting in a room.
Yusuf Ibrahim introduced himself as a lecturer of the Geology department, University of Maiduguri; Haruna is a driver from the University of Maiduguri; and Dr. Solomon Yusuf , a lecturer from the University of Maiduguri.
Speaking briefly in Hausa before switching to English, Solomon Yusuf confirmed that they were abducted on July 25 by Boko Haram fighters whom he referred to as “soldiers of Khalifa Albarnawi”, when they were carrying out geological survey services for the NNPC on behalf of the University of Maiduguri.
The man referred to as Khalifa (meaning crown prince or successor) Abu Musab Albarnawi is the leader of a faction of Boko Haram, which broke away from the group headed by Abubakar Shekau.
Solomon said the Nigeria government and all other relevant authorities linked with the service they were providing before they were abducted should comply with the demands of their abductors and ensure they are released alive.
warning that the use of excessive force to rescue them should be discountenanced by the government of Nigeria.
“We are recording this video on the 28 of July 2017. I want to reemphasise that we were caught on the 25th of July 2017
“I want to call on the entire community of University of Maiduguri, I also want to call on our coordinator of the project, Professor Saidu Baba, and Professor Adamu Zubama, I want to call on the leadership of ASUU under the leadership of Dani Mamman; I want to call on the Vice Chancellor University of Maiduguri, Professor Ibrahim Njodi; I want to call on the state governor, His Excellency Kashim Shettima, I want to call on the NNPC, for which this group is doing a collaborative work with the University of Maiduguri, under exploration; I want to call on the leadership of the NNPC to join in this rescue, I want to call on the entire media community to support this our cry so that we will be rescued alive.
“I want to call on the acting President Professor Yemi Osinbajo to come to our rescue to meet the demand of soldiers of Khalifa under the leadership of Abu-Musab Al-Barnawi. They have promised us that if their demands are met, they will release us immediately to go back to the work we were caught doing. I want to call on the attention of the entire country that we were captured doing the work of exploration of acquiring gravity, magnetic and soil geo-chemistry for exploration in the Nigeria sector of the Chad basin which would boost the economy of the nation.
“We were caught while in the line of our service to the country, I want to call the attention of the acting president that we have seen the route we took up to this position where we are recording this video right now. I want to advise that the use of excessive force is not the solution and will not be the solution. We want to call on the federal government to meet this demand as they promised they will release us immediately. We call on Nigerians to support our cry to be rescued alive.”
In a related development, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has revealed that the Boko Haram terrorists were back to the Sambisa Forest area of Borno State, but said its fighter jets and attack helicopters had bombed the terrorists’ hideouts 108 times between April and July, 2017.
This was disclosed by the Air Component Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, the military operation in the North-East, Air Commodore Tajudeen Yusuf, while briefing newsmen in Yola, Adamawa State.
“Intelligence surveillance and Reconnaissance reports through the second quarter of 2017 indicated a gradual return of the Boko Haram terrorist activities to the Sambisa Forest,” he stated.
“There have been sightings of a few Boko Haram activities in the Sambisa general area, particularly in Parisu.
“Hence, the air component conducted significant ISR missions in the Sambisa general area.
“On July 3, an air interdiction mission was conducted on Alagarno Camp. Several solar panels were seen on buildings in the location, which indicated that it was being used as a Command and Control facility.
“The NAF conducted air interdiction missions with the F-7Ni, Alpha jets, L-39ZA, Mi-17 and the Mi-35M attack helicopters to neutralise the Boko Haram terrorist targets within the theatre.
“A total of 108 air interdiction sorties were conducted from April to June 2017.”