The Oasis Reporters
February 5, 2018
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is pleased to announce the annual call for applications for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program for the 2019/2020 academic year. Formerly referred to as the Fulbright Junior Staff Development Program or the Fulbright Visiting Student Program, theFulbright Foreign Student Program is a research program funded by the U.S. Department of State and awards are contingent upon approval by the J. William Fulbright Scholarship Board (FSB), availability of funds, and successful academic placement.
Deadline: Please note that the STRICT deadline for submitting online application and all supplementary documents is June 1, 2018.
Purpose: The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is designed primarily to strengthen African universities by giving grantees the opportunity to conduct doctoral research in the United States. It offers young and exceptionally promising faculty members in select Nigerian universities the opportunity to conduct doctoral research at U.S. academic or research institutions for a maximum of nine (9) months.
Grant Benefit: The grant covers the grantee’s round trip airfare to the U.S., a settling-in allowance, monthly stipend, housing allowance, books-and-supplies allowance, and computer allowance. The grant also covers basic university health insurance as a primary insurance coverage and the Fulbright ASPE health benefit as secondary coverage.
Note: The grant does not cover travel of dependents, hence grantees will not be allowed to travel with spouse and children to the United States.
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible for a grant:
1) Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the government of Nigeria.
2) Applicants must be doctoral students and have the endorsement of their home institution.
3) Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline.
4) Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and high level of English proficiency.
5) Applicants must meet a minimum score of 100 in the internet based TOEFL test. All candidates should take their TOEFL exam by May or June 2018.
6) Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
7) Only applicants with strong proposals, outlining their research objectives, methodology, time-frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S. will be short-listed for interviews.
8) Preference will be given to applicants who have not studied in the U.S.
9) Applicants in business, law and accounting should understand that most U.S. institutions rarely accept research students in these fields due to high demand for full-time programs and tuition concerns. As a consequence, we face great challenges in finding placements for such grantees unless their proposals are tilted toward economics, development-related areas, democracy, human rights and conflict resolution.
Application and Instructions: The application and instructions can be found at https://iie.embark.com/auth/login
Applicants must fill out the onlineapplication forms completely and attach their supporting documents online (3academic and professional references, Curriculum Vitae, academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended and writing sample.)
Applicants should log onto the website, enter an e-mail address and create a password. Please remember this password because it will be used throughout the application process. Applicants are also advised to read the instructions preceding the application carefully and seek the assistance of senior colleagues who are Fulbright alumni before they fill out the forms. Applicants should select “Visiting Researcher” as their degree objective in their applications.
Note: The Fulbright program is a popular program, the Public Affairs Office will ONLY NOTIFY SHOTRTLISTED CANDIDATES.
A complete application includes:
An online application which includes:a clearly written research objectivea professional resumeThree letters of reference specifying the personal, academic and professional competence of the candidate (submitted electronically and attached to the online application)Official academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended should be scanned and attached to the online application; (official paper transcripts should also be sent at a later date)TOEFL score report.
Hard copies of official academic transcripts and other supplementary documents should be forwarded to our office by regular mail. Please address the envelope to:
Fulbright JSD Program Officer, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Consulate General, 2 Walter Carrington Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos.
Enquiries: Applicants with specific questions not addressed by the online application instructions may e-mail them to AyegbusiCO@state.gov