The Oasis Reporters
November 4, 2021
Anonymous documents surfacing online clearly show that the dramatis personae in the tragic Gerrard Road, 21-storey Ikoyi building collapse that has so far harvested a grim death toll of 32 want to push judgement to the public space.
Spokesperson for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, has confirmed the death toll, and he said there are nine survivors so far, including one female and eight males.
“So far, 36 people – 33 males and three females — have been confirmed dead, while there were nine survivors”, he said.
The operation to rescue those trapped in the rubble of the 21-storey building is still ongoing.
Families and friends of people trapped in the rubble have kept vigil at the scene, clinging onto hope and seeking answers, three days after the disaster.
Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu put the death toll at 21 when he visited the scene on Wednesday afternoon.
The cause of the collapse has yet to be determined, but the governor has said there were obvious violations and “mistakes from all angles” in the tragedy.
He has set up a panel of inquiry into the incident and promised that those found culpable after investigations by the panel, will be punished.
Messages of commiserations have been pouring in onto the desk of State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu. And this would not be the first set of sympathy visits he would be receiving from corporate organizations, governments and well meaning individuals.
Unlike other States especially in Northern Nigeria who receive condolence visits after one unbridled inter tribal or inter religious massacres, Lagos gets its own on account of man made disasters in the largely densely populated commercial city state that was once Nigeria’s capital.
Although it became a cynosure of baleful and angry eyes when EndSARS protesting youths were brutally mowed down in a hail of staccato gun shots fired by supposed government troops that the world is still discussing about.