The Oasis Reporters
November 27, 2019
I have a few perspectives on this Air Peace. I agree our laws in the US are overly sensitive to paper breaches that might not be an issue elsewhere. However I have just six questions to ask:
1. How different is Onyema’s US plane purchase deal from Buhari’s US plane purchase deal? Buhari took unauthorized and unappropriated funds from Nigeria to pay the US for air force jets. The amount he transferred to the US seems far and at variance with the supposed market value of the airplanes.
2. What about the governor of Kebbi state who laundered the Abacha loot abroad in the ‘90s?
He has twice been elected governor under the APC despite the ongoing money laundering and asset forfeiture case against him in the USA.
On top of that, his brother is said to have been living handsomely on the interest from the forfeited funds and recently opposed the return to Nigeria so he can continue feeding on the Abacha loot.
3. What of the General who looted funds for Abacha as well and is now a federal minister appointed by Buhari?
4. What of those whom ex-CBN governor, Sanusi Lamido said became forex billionaires without lifting a finger by simply calling CBN for dollars?
Onyema indeed purchased a fleet of aeroplanes and is actually operating a business providing essential service to the public and the economy. Kabo airlines which ceased to operate commercial flights decades ago and IRS amongst others are reportedly still accessing forex via CBN.
5. What of the son of President Bush Snr who perpetrated a contract scam in Nigeria or VP Dick Cheney who’s subsidiary of Halliburton perpetrated massive corruption in Nigeria?
6. Finally, what of Turkish Airlines who have been importing arms into Nigeria in violation of US terror sanctions?
All animals are equal but some are more equal than others!
Written by Emmanuel Ogebe.
He’s a US based Nigerian born rights lawyer and head of the Nigeria – US Law Group